Thursday, December 6, 2012

Manning the Book Cart

     Can she handle it?

 
          I will be volunteering at St. Joseph's Mercy Hospital-Ann Arbor starting this Friday. I am going to receive training on that day to become a volunteer who mans the book cart, strolling down the corridors of St. Joes with books to give to any and all patients who are bored. This temporary profession may not seem as heroic as, perhaps, going to India or Haiti, like some of my fellow Capstoners, but we can’t all be out there saving babies. Some of us have to do the boring jobs; I do confess to being a little prejudice since I haven’t actually started volunteering yet.
          I joke about my choice in volunteering, but I do take it very seriously. I believe that even small things like this can be that one piece that makes a kid (or adult) happy. Laughter and happiness is the best medicine and I will strive to draw that emotion out of patients whenever I can. I will be volunteering on either Fridays or Saturdays (depends on what day my volunteer coordinator gives me), every week, for four hours a week. I do have to commit to at least six months of service which I look forward to fulfilling with utmost pleasure as I cruise down St. Joes with books.

Currently, the only evidence of my service is this very entertaining volunteer orientation. You can tell how excited I am to be volunteering at St. Joes.
 
This is the wonderful place where I will be volunteering for the next six months. I am truely excited to be able to see the many bright smiles at this place; but really, they dont stop smiling at you the moment you walk in the door.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment